The Company: Pathways Vermont is a dynamic nonprofit agency which believes in transforming the lives of individuals experiencing difficulties and permanently ending homelessness. Pathways offers a great benefit package including dental and health insurance, generous vacation time and 12 paid holidays.
The Role: Pathways Vermont Community Center is a community center offering employment assistance, free meals, and supports offered by individuals who have experienced a broad range of struggles of their own and are willing to be open about them. With the kitchen space PVCC provides community meals, nutritional wellness and life skills training and job skill training. This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Position Type: Part-time- 21hrs+
- Menu planning for dinner on Wednesday and lunch on Thursday including grocery shopping
- Participate in daily maintenance of the space including organizing supplies and equipment
- Participate in a monthly staff meeting, co-reflection, individual supervision and trainings
- Participate in preparation and serving of weekly community meal (includes basic food preparation, simple cooking on stovetop or oven, following commercial food industry standards, serving dishes to community members and cleaning up after a meal)
- Working with, training, and supervising volunteers
- Tracking data from meals,events, and workshops
- Participating 12-15 hours of coverage at the community center
- Engage with people about their lives, offering resource referral, peer support and peer counseling in both individualized and group settings when appropriate
- Maintain a clean and welcoming community space, inside and outside PVCC
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to share personal life struggles when appropriate
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Basic telephone/computer/internet/social media skills, familiarity with Google platform a plus
- Trained in Intentional Peer Support Training (or commitment to be trained within 6 months of hiring)
- Familiarity with commercial kitchens a plus
- Ability to participate in the daily maintenance of the community center
- Ability to foster a positive, creative atmosphere
- Ability to work early evening hours required
- Commitment to the values of Intentional Peer Support and TWC
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs rarely required (in instances when lift is utilized and/or being serviced)
- Frequent stooping, kneeling and/or crouching to assist in cleaning, picking up items, preparing meals, shoveling entryway etc.
- Regular operation of a computer and other office machinery
- Occasional reaching, pushing, pulling and lifting of arms to participate in cleaning and space organization
- Frequent talking and listening in participation of exchanging ideas through spoken word and occasional receipt and giving of detailed information through oral communication
- Occasionally lifting and carrying 30 pounds
- Occasional exposure to outside environmental conditions for outreach events and opening the space. Specifically shoveling snow from entryway in winter.
It is the policy of Pathways Vermont that all employees and applicants shall receive equal consideration and treatment in employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identification, or disability. Pathways Vermont is committed to a diverse workplace that reflects the communities we serve, and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people including people with military experience, individuals with disabilities, and people of color.
To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org