Housing First Program
Property Manager Team Lead
Pathways Vermont is committed to a diverse workplace that reflects the communities we serve, and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people including people with military experience, individuals with disabilities, and people of color. It is the policy of Pathways Vermont that all employees and applicants shall receive equal consideration and treatment in employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identification, or disability.
The Company: Pathways Vermont is a dynamic nonprofit agency which believes in transforming the lives of individuals experiencing mental health and other life challenges and permanently ending homelessness. Pathways offers a great benefit package including dental and health insurance, generous paid time off and 8 paid holidays.
The Role: The Property Manager Team Lead is a leadership member of the Housing First Team and works in partnership with the Housing First services teams. The Housing First program provides permanent housing and support services to individuals with histories of chronic homelessness, institutionalization and significant mental health challenges. Pathways Property Manager lead will be responsible for 90 plus units across 9 Counties in Vermont for our Pathways Master Lease Program serving our Housing First and Department of Corrections Transitional Program. The Property Manager
Team Lead will work closely with our Housing First Program Director, Housing Team Leads and service teams to address and manage a team of two property managers North and South. The essential function of this position is to train and support the Property Managers, hold administrative responsibilities, manage turnovers in master leased units, support teams to develop a wide contractor base and establish efficient protocols for addressing unit issues. This position reports to the Housing First Program Director.
The Property Manager Team Lead will work to resolve tenant issues, ensure the property managers have regular inspections, send warning and termination notices, prepare leases and organize contractors for unit turnovers, basic maintenance and repairs.
Program: Housing First
Job Title: Property Manager Team Lead
Supervisor: Housing First Program Director
- Oversees lease ups, move-in, move-outs and regular inspections pursuant to Housing quality standards between tenant, landlord and housing authority inspector if applicable
- Responsible for property management for Pathways units including but not limited to repairs and maintenance, managing tenant lease and rent responsibilities, unit turn-overs and regular landlord inspections.
- Be well versed in the obligation of tenants, landlord and housing authority as outlined in tenants HUD subsidy contract and/or DOC program agreement.
- Engage with the Department of Corrections to efficiently move clients from incarceration to housing in the community in a timely manner.
- Ensure Pathways remain in compliance with all housing contracts, including, but not limited to: HUD, Shelter Plus Care, Section 8, DOC and DMH. Remain current with HUD rules and regulations as it pertains to HUD subsidies and DOC Grant funds.
- Accurate and timely maintenance of electronic database to track leasing, maintenance and payment information for all units occupied by Pathways tenants
- Recruit landlords and units to the program as needed, track all outreach contacts on behalf of Pathways
- Submit rent requests to finance department to ensure timely and accurate payment of rent to property owners
- Ensure collection of tenant rent
- Create regular invoices documenting client rent payments and outstanding balances
- Organize and submit vendor invoices for payment
- Organize services to promote retention as needed (including cleaning, maintenance)
- Address tenant and/or property owner/neighbor complaints
- Secure and inspect vacant units on a regular basis
- Recruit, onboard and direct local contractors and vendors as needed
- Oversee contracted work and ensure timely and satisfactory completion
- Work with property owners to maintain and improve properties utilized by Pathways
- Participate in lease negotiations and renewals
- Participate in landlord/tenant mediation as needed to resolve tenancy issues
- Draft and issue warning, termination and other notices as necessary
- Participate in termination and eviction proceedings as necessary
- Prepare reports and participate in agency quality improvement efforts as requested
- Participate in required staff meetings and trainings as assigned
- Regular attendance is a requirement of the position
- Some availability after hours (nights/weekends) to address timely tenant issues required
- Occasional exposure to outside environmental conditions for community-based meetings.
- Often meeting with persons in the community and/or visiting different businesses
- Regular extended travel by motor vehicle within geographic location
- Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction at times when collecting paperwork, assisting with applications, etc.
- Extensive reading responsibilities
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs occasionally required (in instances when apartments, businesses and/or meeting places do not have an elevator)
- Stooping, Kneeling, Crouching. Occasionally during housing inspections to inspect various items.
- Regular operation of a computer and other office machinery including frequent typing.
- Grasping. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm such as stapling, completing hand-written forms, etc.
- Frequent talking and listening in participation of exchanging ideas through spoken word and occasional receipt and giving of detailed information through oral communication at normal speaking levels.
- Occasionally lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, occasionally exerting up to 20 pounds of force and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently (opening doors at meeting places/businesses, etc.)
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to operate motor vehicles.
- Management, leadership and supervisory experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work experience
- Experience in property management, sales, and/or real estate a plus
- Familiarity with housing laws, housing subsidy programs, and applicable regulations preferred
- Familiarity with geographic area and housing market preferred
- Comfort initiating new relationships and negotiations
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment as well as possess strong problem solving skills, work ethic and computer proficiency
- Strong mediation skills and ability to navigate complex situations
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Must be able to work semi-flexible hours
- Ability to travel
- Valid driver’s license, registration and reliable vehicle required
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Must be comfortable with rapid growth and thinking out of the box
- Commitment to Pathways mission of housing as a human right
- Excellent interpersonal skills – the ability to network with landlords, funders, and community stakeholders
- Motivation for sales
- Patience, creativity, flexibility, compassion, and sensitivity to persons with disabilities and other minority populations
- Lived experience of homelessness, mental health challenges, incarceration, and/or other life challenges will be considered an asset
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Long Term Disability/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (accrual of 210 hours per year to start)
- All-Staff days off
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Longevity Recognition Rewards
- $20 – $25 per hour
If you are interested in this position please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]