It is the policy of Pathways Vermont that all employees and applicants shall receive equal consideration and treatment in employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identification, or disability. Pathways Vermont is committed to a diverse workplace that reflects the communities we serve, and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people including people with military experience, individuals with disabilities, and people of color.
The Company: Pathways Vermont is a dynamic nonprofit agency committed to permanently ending homelessness and offering innovative mental health services. Soteria Vermont is a five-bed hospitalization prevention residence for individuals experiencing an early episode of psychosis who wish to avoid or minimize their exposure to medications.
The Role: The Advanced Practice Registered Nurse is a member of the Soteria community which includes residents, resident support staff, and program leadership. The position is focused on psychiatric and physical care and being with residents.
Location: Burlington; provide on-call consultation as needed
Supervised by: Pathways Vermont Mental Health Programs Manager
- Provide consultation to residents of psychopharmacological options, including potential risks and benefits, per resident request
- As indicated, prescribe medication to residents, utilizing the Soteria philosophy of minimum effective dose for the least amount of time necessary
- Know the Therapeutic Community Residence (TCR) regulations as they apply to the physical and mental well being of a resident; provide assessment to ensure that a resident needs meet TCR level of care
- Document all resident interactions, including prescriptions and medical advice provided, in Electronic Health Record
- Train all staff in Soteria medication policies and procedures, including the difference between medication assistance and medication administration
- Maintain thorough understanding of Soteria policies and procedures, including emergency protocol
- Be available for on-call as needed
- Be with residents: non-judgmental, non-directive approach of providing support and availability
- Engage in relationship building/rapport building with residents and provide service from a “choice” perspective as well as client centered, harm reduction, and strengths based approaches
- Other duties as assigned
- Licensed in the State of Vermont as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Knowledge and appreciation of holistic and alternative mental health practices desired
- Excellent communication, writing, and computer skills
- Ability to tolerate uncertainty
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to Pathways’ mission
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to form relationships with marginalized individuals
- Patience, creativity, flexibility, compassion, and sensitivity to diverse populations including people of color, persons with disabilities, individuals who have experienced trauma, and persons who have been oppressed
- Sound judgment and good problem solving skills, including assessing risk factors
- Personal experience of homelessness, mental health, extreme states or other life challenges considered an asset
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to provide in person nursing support at the Soteria house and availability to provide on-call verbal assistance to leadership staff via phone and/or text.
- Regular operation of a computer and other office machinery.
- Regular, repetitive movement of hands and fingers including substantial movements of wrists, hands and fingers for typing and/or writing, grasping paperwork, using technology equipment and other tasks.
- Frequent talking and participation in exchanging ideas through spoken word as well as ability to hear and receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Regularly standing, walking, stooping, kneeling or crouching, reaching with hands and arms and light lifting.
- Rarely lifting and carrying 20-30 pounds at Soteria house.
- Frequent utilization of close visual acuity and reading from a computer screen, must be able to read information captured in type and free hand form.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Longevity Recognition Rewards
- Part-time employees (min. 18 hrs/week) are entitled to PTO and Paid Holidays prorated according to the hours worked.
- Part time, non-exempt hourly employee
- 8 -10 hours per week
- $40-$55/hour; wage commensurate with experience
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com