The Company: Pathways Vermont is a dynamic nonprofit agency which believes in transforming the lives of individuals experiencing difficulties and permanently ending homelessness.
The Role: The Pathways Vermont Community Center offers employment assistance, free meals, and supports offered by individuals who have experienced a broad range of struggles of their own and are willing to be open about them. The Support Specialist provides coverage of drop-in center hours, peer support services, may facilitate community groups and staff meetings. The peer support specialist is supervised by the community center Team Leader.
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Position Type: Per-diem
- Engage with people about their lives, offering resource referral, peer support and peer counseling in both individualized and group settings when appropriate
- Facilitate supportive groups, activities, workshops and events at PVCC
- Provide peer support during drop-in hours and individual support appointments as needed
- Maintain a clean and welcoming community space, inside and outside PVCC
- Participate in periodic staff meetings, co-reflection, individual supervision and trainings
- Track and report service data as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Willingness to share personal life struggles when appropriate
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Basic telephone/computer/internet/social media skills, familiarity with google platform
- Trained in Intentional Peer Support Training (or commitment to be trained within 6 months of hiring) as well as all other Pathways Vermont core competencies
- Ability to participate in the daily maintenance of the community center
- Ability to foster a positive, creative atmosphere
- Ability to work evening hours
- Some holiday hours required
- Commitment to the values of Intentional Peer Support and PVCC
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs occasionally required (in instances when businesses do not have an elevator)
- Often meeting with persons in the community and/or visiting different businesses
- Regular operation of a computer and other office machinery including frequent typing
- Occasional reaching, pushing, pulling and lifting of arms to participate in cleaning and space organization
- Frequent talking and listening in participation of exchanging ideas through spoken word and occasional receipt and giving of detailed information through oral communication
- Extensive reading responsibilities
- Occasionally lifting and carrying 30 pounds
- Occasional exposure to outside environmental conditions for outreach events and opening the space. Specifically shoveling snow from entryway in winter.
It is the policy of Pathways Vermont that all employees and applicants shall receive equal consideration and treatment in employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identification, or disability. Pathways Vermont is committed to a diverse workplace that reflects the communities we serve, and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people including people with military experience, individuals with disabilities, and people of color.
To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org